Michigan Test for Teacher Certification
MTTC tests are meant to ensure that each certified teacher has the necessary skills and subject area knowledge to serve in Michigan's schools. These tests are designed and implemented by the Michigan Department of Education.
Save all official MTTC score reports in a safe place because you may need them for employment or teacher certification in other states. If you need new score reports, additional copies may be ordered using these instructions.
Basic competency test minimum scores (SAT, ACT, Basic Skills, etc.) are no longer required for admission to the Professional Education Program, effective September 19, 2018.
In order to be certified, students must pass the MTTC subject area tests that correspond to the major and minor field(s) of study. These tests should not be taken until the final year of the program, but it is highly recommended that students pass their MTTC subject area test(s) before student teaching.
- Find out which subject tests you need to take.
- Subject area test scores are valid for five years from the date of testing (students need to be recommended for certification within those five years).
- Register at the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification website.
- The fee for each subject test is $129.
- During the registration process, be sure to identify yourself as a Calvin student and also request that your scores be sent to Calvin.
- Be careful to enter an accurate social security number. It is a huge inconvenience if you enter an incorrect number. Canadians, please register using your U.S. social security number, not your Canadian social insurance number.
- When asked if you are completing an “alternative route” to teacher certification, answer “No” (Calvin’s program is a traditional route).
- Candidates with diagnosed disabilities may register for alternative testing arrangements.
- Candidates who do not speak English as a primary language may request additional time for any MTTC test except world language subject tests.
- Be sure to review the appropriate study guides. Depending on your subject area, you may find helpful practice problems at education.com or 240Tutoring. Curriculum Collection middle or high school textbooks may be used to review content.
- Tests are no longer offered on campus. All MTTC tests are now computer-based only. Test center locations are available in cities worldwide.
Elementary Education Students
Students seeking elementary certification must also take the Elementary Education MTTC test.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.study guide and test objectives. Spend extra time studying for these subareas, which have lower pass rates:
- Social Studies
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Health and Physical Education
Special Education Program Students
Complete the Cognitive Impairment test (#56) after EDUC 310 and the Elementary Education test (#103).
Candidates interested in teaching grades 9–12 special education in a Michigan public school may need to take additional MTTC tests later in consultation with the hiring school (mathematics, integrated science, and/or language arts).
If you have questions, contact Calvin's certification and assessment coordinator at (616) 526-6208 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.