Careers & Outcomes
Art and art history students at Calvin go on to pursue various paths, from architecture to teaching art in schools, creating art in the studio, to photography and graphic design.
Planning for your career
Getting started thinking about your future career while you are still in college can help you make the most of opportunities available for you at Calvin.
The role of your advisor
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.art and art history faculty.
Explore possible careers
- Fashion artist/designer
- Advertising designer
- Furniture designer
- Architectural renderer
- Art administrator
- Ceramic artist
- Graphic designer
- Product designer/illustrator
- Interior decorator
- Internet homepage designer
- Art graphic assistant
- Art teacher
Get started at the Career Center.
Expand your knowledge and experience
The art and art history department at Calvin provides opportunities for you to gain real experience.
- Take part in various art exhibition opportunities or projects
- Find off-campus internships during the year, or in the summer
- Participate in art and art history academic programs off-campus
- Get a part-time job working in the department of art history, doing everything from assisting with exhibitions to working in the studios, photo lab, and woodshop
Consider graduate study
Going to graduate school is a great way to deepen your knowledge of a specific area within or related to art and art history. Consult your advisor for more information.
Get to know the right people
Even while you're an undergraduate student, expanding your network of contacts within your target career field will help you make your way after graduation. A few ideas on how to build a professional network:
- Get to know your professors—with their years of experience, they know many people in their fields that may be able to help establish your career
- Attend exhibitions, lectures, and participate in art exhibitions
- Become involved in student organizations to start developing relationships with your future colleagues
- Do an off-campus internship with a local organization like the Grand Rapids Art Museum, UICA, or Meijer Gardens and keep in contact with those you work with there
- Work with a professor on a collaborative project
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.